Old Fashioned Pistachio Salad {Watergate Salad}

Happy Friday, y’all! I’m so excited to share this very old recipe today. It has been a favorite of my dad’s for many, many years. We make it for special occasions and it is always devoured. Why this recipe is called “Watergate Salad” I have no idea. Maybe President Nixon liked pistachios? Ha! I’m clueless.

Pistachio Salad

I didn’t say it’s an incredibly healthy recipe. It’s not. But it sure is yummy.

Pistachio Salad is so quick and easy.  Love it!

Here are a few of our other salad favorites for this time of year…

What’s your favorite kind of salad?

xoxo

Myra

Share This Post: Pin on Pinterest26,380Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Google+69Print this pageEmail this to someone

Comments

We actually make the same thing in my family and know it also by that name-though we never call it that. We call it Marshmallow Jello. We use colored marshmallows and don’t add extra nuts. I love how easy it is to whip up. And the pastels are pretty for any meal!
    Barefoot Hippie Girl´s last blog post ..Hot-Diggity-Dog!

2. Emily e says

We never have a family gathering without the. We just call it green stuff.
    I recon it was created by the chefs at The Watergate and that’s why it’s called that, but that’s just a guess.

3. Kori says

Oh my, I haven’t had that in years! My grandmother used to make a Watergate cake also. In fact, it was the last thing she baked for me before she died. So many memories. :)

One of the first “new” recipes I tried when I was a newlywed. One of my co workers at Oak Ridge Methodist Hospital brought this to a covered dish dinner at work and we were all AMAZED.!! Thanks for reminding me that this recipe is still a good one.
    Arlene Grimm@ Nanaland´s last blog post ..Recent Reading

• Myra Hope says

Kelly, that is so strange! Did you use the large box of pudding? I’ve never had a problem with it not setting up.

I make this for every holiday meal it is my husband’s favorite. Sometimes I add some chopped maraschino cherries just to add alittle color (mostly at Christmas). Looks Good!

6. Vette says

I have made this recipe for years, we simply called it green fluff. Now that my daughter is old enough to take an interest in cooking (she’s 7) this is one of the first things she made, (besides scrambled eggs) and she makes it to take to all functions we have at Granny’s, Mamaw’s, home, church etc. So we have renamed it now, it is Gracie’s Famous Fluff. P.S. We leave out the marshmallows just cause we like it better that way!!!

Hi there, no doubt the pistachio salad is really healthy.. Never tried. Usually this is the flavor that I avoid in ice creams.. But in a salad, I am tempted to try it out. Seems delicious!

8. Cindy Price says

I LOVE this salad. When Iwas diagnosed with type II diabetes, iIstarted making it with sugar free pudding, sugar free cool whip, pineapple in its own juice, and fewer marshmallows. Its not completely sugarfree, but its less sugar than the original AND nobody I’ve ever served it to could tell the difference!

Oh my! My family has eaten this at all Christmas and Easter meals because it is our tradition. Mom started fixing it about 70 years ago and now we all do! We do add mandarin orange slices and marishino cherries as well. Love it!

Comments