Spaghetti Squash {Easy How-To}

Hey y’all! If you hang out with me on Facebook and Instagram, you might have noticed that I’ve been posting pictures of my food each day. I just started the Whole30 eating plan on Sunday. It’s a real food plan including a lot of meat, veggies, fruit & nuts.

I’ve fallen in love with Spaghetti Squash, so I thought I would show you how I make my spaghetti squash. My husband loves it too! I really like the slight sweetness of the squash combined with a savory sauce or herb butter.

Cooking a spaghetti squash is incredibly easy.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place the squash on a baking pan and pierce it a few times with a knife. Bake for 1 hour.

Allow spaghetti squash to sit for a few minutes and then cut it open and remove the seeds. I like to use a fork for this process.

Then use the fork to gently “pull” the squash into strings. It’s like magic!

At this point, you can top the spaghetti squash with pasta sauce, meatballs, herbs, butter, salt…whatever your heart desires.

spaghetti squash

Have you ever cooked a spaghetti squash? What is your favorite method?

xoxo

Myra

Sharing at I’m Lovin’ It and The Frugal Girls!

Comments

I’m so happy you posted this…Someone at church Sunday was telling me I have to try spaghetti squash and then I saw it also on your dinner photo. So I picked one up last night! Now I know what to do with it :)

Also, I’ve enjoyed seeing what you are eating on the Whole30. I think I’m going to give it a try!
    Katie´s last blog post ..Pear and Arugula Quinoa Salad with Maple Vinaigrette

I have wanted to try spaghetti squash for a long time now. I have even purchased them from the store and never made them because I didn’t know how! How silly! Thank you for such a great tutorial on how to make one. Your pictures are very helpful!
    Kathy´s last blog post ..Breakfast Quinoa

3. Nikita says

I understand seriously sassy mama… and they don’t like onions, garlic, cooked tomatoes, bell peppers… basically anything that makes the food delicious.. but I did make this for myself one night pretty much exact to this post.. and it was delicious.. of course they all got curious and wanted to try.. and what do you know.. loved it too.

4. Audrey says

I bake mine with spaghetti sauce right in it while it cooks. I Also bake it and then take all the squash out and add garlic and Parmesan cheese. Yummy!! :)

5. Jennifer Y says

I love spaghetti squash! It is so good! When I am super busy, I toss it in the crockpot whole (no piercings) and cook it for about an hour or so on high. Until its soft on the outside.

6. Kendra says

I love spaghetti squash too! I bake it like u but when it’s cooked I “fork” it out and put in a 9X9″ baking pan and slice tomatoes on top (with salt and pepper and seasonings) and bake like that. Mmmmm…

7. Treva says

My family wanted spaghetti last night & I have to watch my carb intake cause I’m diabetic. I got regular noodles for them and bought a spaghetti squash. I forked mine several times, stuck it in the microwave for 12 min (turning half-way through), let it sit in the microwave for about 5 min, took it out and cut it like you did. I topped mine w/spaghetti sauce and a generous amount of parmesan cheese. It was definitely a different texture but I really enjoyed it. It gave me a chance to have spaghetti like the rest of my family instead of making something else for me. I will definitely make this again!

8. ada says

this sounds delicious. I always pop it in the microwave for 6-7 minutes (whole) and then i remove the seeds and ‘fluff’ it then top with red pepper flakes, garlic powder and some salt….your way sounds way more delicious though.

9. Lori says

This was perfect timing! Since going paleo, I’ve been substituting zucchini for pasta (I run it through a spiralizer), but I had been wanting to try spaghetti squash… and I just picked one up at the market… this should be GOOD!!

10. linda Smith says

I cut them open, scoop out the seeds, put some butter in, a couple of rings of onion, some sliced bell pepper and a little salt. Cover the halves with alum. foil and bake. If ppl don’t like onion or bell pepper, they can be removed before serving but their flavor is in the squash. Any veg. you like could be put in before baking. You can put any sauce on that you like but with the flavor imparted from the vegies, no sauce is really needed.

11. Tamar Duran says

I also recently started Whole30 and am loving it so far. Spaghetti Squash, or any winter squash has a very long shelf life: 1-2 months on the counter and up to 3 months if you refrigerate it. I always pick one up when I see them in the store, so have it on hand. I cut mine in half, scoop out all the seeds and stringy stuff, then rub it down well with olive oil. I bake it same as you, and after it cools a few minutes, fork out all the “spaghetti”. Then I toss it with whatever sauce or other seasonings I might choose. Lots of options!

Thanks for sharing! I’ve always cooked them either cut in half in the oven for about that same time, or cut in half in the microwave for about 15 minutes. I like that there is no scooping of the seeds here, you just pick them out after cooking. Seems to waste a lot less squash meat. This method is great; just stab, cook, pick, eat! =)

Comments