Side Table Makeover

Good morning, friends! I hope you had a lovely weekend! I’m excited to show you my side table makeover. I hadn’t picked up a paintbrush in far too long, so this project was incredibly therapeutic for me to say the least!

Pin It

I’ve been wanting to try chalk paint out for a while, so when a sponsor, Doozie’s Corner, contacted me about trying out CeCe Caldwell’s chalk clay paint, I jumped at the opportunity! A friend gave me this side table and it’s been sitting in our living room for probably close to a year needing a little TLC. I love how it turned out!

Before

One of the legs was coming off, it was scratched and was also missing a little brass “foot.”

Hello, scratches that not even furniture touch up could repair.

I used Gorilla Glue – Wood Glue and fixed the leg, so it wouldn’t come apart any longer. Do you know how awesome it is to not worry that your side table might collapse with a lamp and accessories on it? Yeah. Pretty awesome. :)

I used CeCe Caldwell’s Carolina Sun Yellow paint and the clear wax. I confess that I’d never waxed anything in my life up until this project, but it was so easy, and I might just be hooked.

I used my very favorite Purdy brush.

I gave the side table two coats of chalk clay paint, then after waiting a few hours I distressed the edges and sanded it down with my trusty sanding block. Two days later, I waxed it.

The paint gave me a bit of a roller coaster ride because I wasn’t sure how it was going to turn out. When I first opened the paint and began painting it was bright…like really bright, but it dried a pastel yellow. After I sanded and distressed it was even more pastel. Uh, not what I was going for.

When I waxed it, it was breathtakingly bright yellow-gold. Eeek! When the wax dried, I breathed a sigh of relief because the color was exactly what I imagined that it would be – a beautiful buttery yellow similar in intensity to my apple green desk. Ahh!

I replaced the old drawer pull. Nothing’s more classic than a lion’s head, right?

I love how the wax enriched the wood tones that came through the distressing.

Here’s a closeup shot of the pedestal.

Before and After

I really love how well the chalk clay paint worked for this side table. For now, it’s in the living room, but with the kids’ room makeover that I’m planning, it might end up in another space.

Pin It

And that, my friends is a quick and easy way to makeover a side table. No priming, so sanding or prep work involved. Just whip out a paintbrush, can of CeCe Caldwell’s paint, a lint free rag and can of wax and you’ll have it made over in no time!

Have you ever use a chalk type paint before?

I’m linking up to Made By You Monday, Today’s Creative Blog, I’m Lovin’ It, Furniture Feature Friday, Weekend Wrap Up Party and Before & After Party!

Don’t miss out – diy projects, recipes, crafts and more, by checking out my subscribe page!

Comments

1. Maggie says

The last piece I did, wow it’s been about ten years. I found an old desk in my garage which will become my next project. Your piece is beautiful.

It’s beautiful but I have a silly question. When you say chalk paint, does that mean you could write on it with chalk or is it some kind of specialty paint? I’m a DIY novice trying to learn!
    Love your blog!
    Cheryl´s last blog post ..New York!

I’m so excited about this! I have plans for repainting and redecorating our room and a guest room. I want to do yellow and gray so I was so happy to stumble upon this. The table looks fabulous. Thanks for sharing!

4. Mel says

I haven’t painted furniture in a while. I loved this, and my sunroom could use a little yellow. I have a table that could use a little TLC. And I am going to go for it. Thanks for sharing.

@Cheryl @ Myra
    You can use CeCe Caldwell’s Paints to make chalkboards. Just paint on three coats allowing them to completely dry in between coats. No need to seal or wax. Beautiful chalkboards, tabletop chalkboard, and even great to paint dresser drawers for a child’s room to create a fun piece of furniture for them to write on!

6. Kelly B. says

What kind of wax did you use? I’ve never used wax to finish a project but I’ve love to get it a go. Ty in advance!

7. Jessica says

Just wondering did you have to sand down the entire piece before painting it? Does chalk paint allow you to skip that? I’ve got a piece of furniture in the garage I’d love to try this on, but not sure about that first step! Thanks

• Myra says

Yes! No sanding or prep work is required. I just wiped down the piece so that it was free of dust and dirt. :) Hope that helps!

8. Linda from Georgia says

The application of wax truly transformed the look. I want to try this. I have a ton of stuff that could use covering up.

9. Cindy Waye says

Love this yellow table and it sounds so easy. I would love to try this chalk paint on a small white side table that was picked up from a neighbors trash and sits in the bathroom. I think it would be so cute in the Sprin Green Hill.

your little table is adorable. I always perfer paint to wood and am in a quandry now whether to paint an old mirror or not. I hopped over from Miss Mustard Seed’s Friday Furniture Freature party. Glad I did.

11. amy@thesalvagecollection says

brilliant use of yellow…. and the lion’s head is the perfect choice. i, too, am hooked on wax after using annie sloan’s chalk paint.

will be checking cece out now!

Oh! I love it. I have so many painted furniture projects I’d love to try, but I often chicken out and leave that stuff to my handy hunny. But since this requires no sanding, I might just have to jump in and give it a try.

13. Jana says

Im going to try this tomorrow! Can you help explain the destressing part of the project? Would sandpaper work? Great job and absolutely beautiful!! Thanks!

• Myra says

Hi Jana! I just used a sanding block/sanding sponge. It’s so easy. I just start lightly and gradually distress areas that are raised and would likely be more worn. I hope that helps!! :)

Beautfiul! I LOVE what you’ve done with this table!! It’s so much fun taking “old” treasures and giving them the love they need. Thanks for sharing! :)

15. Maltoo says

Your table looks great! You did an awesome job. I have never tried CeCe’s or Annie Sloans paints but I do make my own, it is so easy to do! Just add some pre-mixed grout, about 3 tablesoons, to a quart of flat paint in the color of your choice (I use Ace’s Clark and Kensington because they have been giving away free quarts on the first Saturday of the month since March)Mix well and paint as you would with any chalk paint. No need to pre sand. Sand and wax as desired after dry.

16. melissa says

I have two of these exact same tables and have wondered food years whether or not I should paint them, now I know! Beautiful! Where can I find the chalk paint?

Comments