Tomato-Strawberry Preserves

Yes, I know. You probably just read the title twice, right?  Or was it three times? Tomato???  Preserves???

My Facebook friends thought I was a bit crazy {which I probably am} when I mentioned that I was making tomato-strawberry preserves. I just have to tell ya, don’t knock it until you try it.  :)  This tomato-strawberry preserves recipe is from my 96 year old Memaw.  I have fond memories of helping her make it when I was a teenager.  My Mom and I have also made it together.

This is the season for abundant tomatoes.  If you’re tired of tomato sandwiches and you’re completely over canning tomatoes, tomato sauce, salsa etc, then tomato-strawberry preserves is just what you need.  Trust me. It’s delicious and oh-so-easy!!

Dump five cups of peeled and chunked tomatoes into a large pan.  Add five cups of sugar. Then bring tomatoes and sugar to a boil.

Boil for 15 minutes. Stir. Stir. Stir…and stir some more.

Add two {3 oz} or one large box of strawberry jello and stir until dissolved.

Remove from heat and allow to cool.

Test taste it.  You know you want to.

Also, don’t freak out because the mixture is runny. It will thicken right up as it cools.

After cooling, transfer your beautiful, delicious tomato-strawberry preserves into freezer containers.  You can store the preserves in the refrigerator or freezer.

Tomato-Strawberry Preserves

• 5 c. white sugar
  • 5 c. tomatoes, peeled and chunked
  • 2 small or 1 large box of strawberry jello

Boil sugar and tomatoes together for 15 minutes, stirring constantly. Add strawberry jello and stir until dissolved.

Cool completely and divide into freezer containers.

Enjoy!  It’s soooo yummy!

Have you ever had tomato-strawberry preserves?

I’m linking up to Tasty Tuesday, Tip Me Tuesday, Get Your Craft On!

Don’t miss out – diy projects, recipes, crafts and more, by checking out my subscribe page!

Share This Post: Pin on Pinterest100Share on Facebook57Tweet about this on Twitter15Share on Google+0Print this pageEmail this to someone

Comments

1. Rachel C. says

Haven’t tried tomato-strawberry, but have done just tomato with yellow pear tomatoes! We had plants that were over 7 ft. tall one year and LOADED with these babies. Didn’t want to waste them and since they have a sweet flavor, we just canned them up, using the same recipe that we did for strawberry jam! We don’t eat it plain, although I suppose you could, but use it in recipes that call for apricot or raspberry preserves. It’s wonderful in bars! We have friends who can’t stand tomatoes but were scarfing those bars up!! :-)

2. Jenni R. says

Our family’s tradition passed down from my Mommom is just Tomato Preserves–fondly called “Tomato Stuff.” We don’t eat it on toast or like regular fruit preserves, but spooned on hot beans and peas–my personal favorite is on butterpeas. I’d be willing to guess the Tomato/Strawberry would be good that way, too.

Nope, I’ve never heard of tomato strawberry preserves! And yes, I did have to look at the title quite a few times before it somewhat registered into my head. Does it taste more like strawberries or tomatoes at the end or both?
    Claudia´s last blog post ..Disney Costumes

4. Aprle says

This looks wonderful and I have so many tomatoes coming from my garden. Do the tomatoes need to be seeded?
    Thank you!

5. Christi says

Thanks for this great recipe. We have tomatoes coming out our ears, and I had been wanting to try this recipe out ever since you posted it. Well today I got the chance and it turned out great! My husband was very skeptical as I was making it, but he agreed to try it with an open mind. When I gave him his first taste he said, “Wow! That’s really good!” :)

Hi Myra,

This recipe sound wonderful – I’m definitely going to try it. When I was growing up my mother would fix canned diced tomatoes, sweetened with sugar, over fresh cornbread. I can still remember how warm and filling it was. Many times this would be dinner, with a green salad.

7. Dave says

It is on the stove as I write and it sure smells good. I made peach tomato jam a couple of days ago and it is wonderful!! I just finished some green tomato jam but haven’t tasted it yet. I only had 4 tomato plants but had almost 100 tomatoes!! Also made a lot of salsa!

8. Amanda says

I used to make this with my grandma and mom when I was really young and was just looking for a recipe! Just found you! I think we boiled the tomatoes to peel. I remember loving this on toast and eating it non stop!

Comments