Homemade Taco Seasoning

In our quest to get healthy, I’ve been cooking and baking much more at home. It’s such a joy to bless my family with healthy food. I think I might get addicted to healthful cooking! :)

As y’all know, we love Mexican food. I frequently purchased Old El Paso taco seasoning mix because of its convenience and gluten-free benefits. After more carefully reading the ingredients {MSG, soybean oil and two preserving chemicals that I can’t pronounce}, I knew I could do better. So, I decided to experiment with my own homemade taco seasoning recipe.

homemade taco seasoning

What is your favorite spice to cook with?

Linked to:

Share This Post: Pin on Pinterest1,739Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter11Share on Google+0Print this pageEmail this to someone

I’ve always made my own… you should try adding some cilantro and freshly ground black pepper (for a little bite). Makes it a little more like authentic Mexican.

2. jeanette says

i have been using this wonderful recipe and i make up enough to taco night about 4-5 times i have found some wonderful recipes for home made mixes @ budgeting101.com and can say and pronunce all spices involved no msg or mons…….. digli…….

Thank you for this! I’ve been wanting to find a recipe for exactly this.

Homemaker Honey
    homemakerhoney @gmail .com

4. Michele says

Consider using a meat blend to cut down on some of the “red” meat and calories. Blend 1# ground turkey and 1# hamburger, cook as usual (with spices for 3# meat), then add 1-2C of refried beans (I have to admit, sometimes cop out and use a can of FF refried beans). I like lots of seasoning in my meat, so I will def have to try this out with your spice blend!

One thing that might be yummy is to add Cilantro to your meat mixture (along with onions) and make into enchiladas or burritos.

Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Yay yay yay yay yay!!! I just hate buying those packets, knowing they’re so bad for us. Wonder if I can make this fly with my family 😉

7. Kerry says

I’m so gonna make up some of this! When I already have all the ingredients on hand who needs the package! Thanks for the recipe.

8. Kim says

Myra, I use a similar concoction. Few tips I’ve picked up: If you miss how the Old El Paso thickens the consistency of the taco meat, you can use a teaspoon or so of arrowroot powder plus a 1/4 cup of water or (better yet) broth. And if you want a little smokey twist to things, try using smoked paprika (Soooo yummy). I also use it often on leftover roasted chicken, to remake it into something different. (chicken tacos, quesadillas, chicken fajita salad).

Good for you. You’ll also save money making it yourself. Instead of garlic powder and onion powder, I prefer to add fresh onions and garlic to my meat or beans as they cook. (A whole bag of onions is about the same price as a little bottle of onion powder. And it’s way healthier since it’s not processed.) That way you get all the nutrition and fiber in those vegetables plus the flavor. I then add cumin and chili powder.

I also add an 8 oz can of tomato sauce with my homemade seasoning. That gives it a little bit of “sauciness” and extra flavor. Your spice blend sounds delicious–and cumin makes all Mexican food better :)

I too have pretty much put the kabosh on buying premade spice mixes. There are actually a great many recipe sites thathave just about anything you can think of . Just search sice mixes and you’ll see. Just last week my mom googled Arby’s BBQ Sauce and came up with one that’s as close to the real thing as you could imagine.

Thanks so much for the recipe. I really wanted to make tacos, but realized I was out of taco seasoning packets. I was a little nervous about using a recipe to make my own at home, but this was easy to make and delicious. I will be using this again in the future.

13. Becky says

This was excellent and tasted just like Old El Paso packaged seasoning. I mixed all seasonings in a small dish. The package mix calls for 2/3 c water as well. So to help it thicken, I stirred in 2 tsp corn starch to the water and mixed with a fork until smooth. Then I stirred in the seasonings into the water and poured all into the ground beef. I couldn’t tell the difference! Thank you so much!

14. Annie says

Quick question … when using the prepackaged Taco seasoning one would add water as well as the spices. Is this so with the homemade version? Do you still add water?

15. Annie says

I just made this tonight and it was AMAZING!!! The consensus by everyone in the family was to NEVER buy the prepackaged again 😀 I sauteed some onion & garlic along with the meat as per your suggestion when browning it. Then I simply added your Taco Spice mixture and that was it…NO water required!

Thank you SO much for sharing this recipe. Being recently diagnosed and trying to find GF alternatives has been challenging, but at least I can stop looking for this. Since Tuesdays is our Taco night, this will now be our Go-to :)

16. RG says

Old El Paso Taco seasoning (including reduced sodium version) is most certainly NOT gluten free. (source Pilsbury parent company).

17. emily says

This looks great and will be on my to-do list. Just wondering why this would have to be refrigerated when making in bulk since all of the ingredients are found stored in the pantry?

• Myra Hope says

It doesn’t have to be refrigerated necessarily. Just long term, the spices will stay fresher, longer. :)

18. Lillian says

Thank you for this recipe! I’ve bookmarked it and will try it out. I haven’t tried the Old El Paso package yet, but I trust yours over theirs–you haven’t added MSG as an ingredient. 😉