Why I Gave Up Dryer Sheets For Dryer Balls

Happy Friday!! I’m so glad it’s the weekend! I’m actually in Atlanta at the Haven Conference. My rockstar husband is at home with the boys and I’m sure they are having a blast. I’ve been wanting to share why I gave up dryer sheets for dryer balls for a while and today was the perfect opportunity. :)

Up until about two years ago, I used dryer sheets during my laundry routine. I re-used the sheets and sometimes I even cut them in half or thirds to make them last longer. When I began learning more about natural living and household toxins, I wondered about dryer sheets and did a bit of research. After discovering the potentially harmful chemicals in dryer sheets, I decided to find an alternative.

5 Reasons I Gave Up Dryer Sheets For Dryer Balls

There are other “softeners” out there including adding vinegar or baking soda to the wash cycle, but I went with dryer balls at least for the time being. Interestingly enough, there are different kinds of dryer balls. Mine are rubber, but you can use tennis balls, aluminum foil balls {these can snag clothing} or wool balls made out of yarn.

5 Reasons Why I Love My Dryer Balls

1. Dryer balls are cheap.

All you need are two dryer balls, but I have boys at my house. Naturally any kind of ball goes missing. So, I have three sets of dryer balls and I just use what’s still in my dryer when I throw clothes in. I’ve paid anywhere from $5-$7/pair and they literally last forever. MUCH less expensive than dryer sheets.

2. They are non-toxic.

Instead of chemically ridden dryer sheets, dryer balls are safe to use.

3. Dryer balls reduce drying time.

Because the balls are bouncing around as the dryer runs, there is more air flow through the clothes. This extra movement reduces drying time.

4. They soften clothes naturally.

The balls’ motion fluffs clothing fibers which naturally softens them. Love that!

5. Dryer balls produce less lint and extend the life of clothing.

Dryer sheets are quite damaging to fabric fibers. Lint is from the constant scraping motion of dryer sheets against the fabric. The beauty of dryer balls, is that there is less “scraping” and more fluffing which both reduces lint and preserves the quality of clothes.

I haven’t had a major problem with static cling. There might be a teeny bit when I pull items from the dryer, but it dissipates quickly.

Where can you buy dryer balls? I’ve seen them at Target, TJMaxx and Hancock’s. Amazon sells them too.

So…tell me, What kind of fabric softener do you use? Have you ever thought about trying dryer balls?

xoxo

Myra

• Share This Post on Facebook
  • Email this Post
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.

Comments

1. I use felted wool dryer balls, purchased at our local farmers market. I had asked a friend about getting static out of fleece, which should not have fabric softener in the rinse or sheets in the dryer; she suggested the wool dryer balls, and they work like a charm.

2. You’re bad for my wallet! lol The time you posted about Pyrex, I bought 2 new sets, now the dryer balls are in my “cart”. Seriously though, I very much appreciate the information you put out there. Thank you.

Carol
    Carol Busse´s last blog post ..transforming the transformed

3. I use vinegar in the rince cycle (in a Downey ball) and homemade laundry detergent – 3 ingredients, lasts forever in my family of 7. I plan on making some wool dryer balls soon tho.

• How do you make your laundry detergent…borax, washing soda and bar soap like zote?

• I use 3 cups of washing soda, 1 cup of baking soda, and 1 cup of Oxyclean. At most, you use 1 Tbsp for a very large load. You can add a grated castile soap (like Dr. Bronners) if you want. I haven’t tried it.
        Zote and the other laundry soaps actually have a lot of chemicals. Borax is also possibly toxic, so I only use it for silly putty.

• Myra Hope says:

I use Charlie’s soap and cold water. :)

• I haven’t heard of Charlie’s soap….
          I do use the dryer balls, they are great. Sometimes I use the dryer balls plus add a little bit of fractionated coconut oil and a couple of drops of essential oils to a clean wash cloth and toss that into the dryer too.

4. Linda Payne says:

The dryer balls have another use – they are the ONLY ball my doxie hasn’t destroyed yet!

5. I’m sold… going to pick some up next Target trip!

6. I love dryer balls! So covenient…unless my five yr old runs off with them! :-)
    robbie´s last blog post ..Treating bug bites with essential oils (a success story)

7. I don’t use any fabric softeners, we must not have high static clothing because we rarely have problems.
    I did have a thought that may help. Have you checked Dollar Tree for Dryer Balls? I haven’t, but they may be there and they would be a lot cheaper.
    Randomly Fascinated´s last blog post ..Little Man 1 Birth Story

8. You have convinced me….looking for dryer balls next time I go to target.
    Arlene Grimm@ Nanaland´s last blog post ..The Chatham School Affair

9. Kathy Mader says:

I’ve used dryer balls for years. Whatever is in fabric softener sheets can also coat the thermostat of the dryer and cause a fire, so are not safe to use…a repair man told me that. The scents are too heavy, too, but if there are scent-free dryer sheets now, I was already using balls by that time. And while on the subject, don’t use those products that make your home smell “good.” The are TERRIBLE for your health and seep into the materials of your home and literally cannot be removed. Totally toxic.

• Like plug-ins? I use oil burner. Is that harmful too?

• Kathy Mader says:

Right, like plug-ins, fragrance sprays, etc. I cannot abide the scent in all the major brands including laundry detergent, boosters, dry dusters for the floors, candles you name it. I do not know about oil burners, sorry, maybe you can do some research and inform us.

• Myra Hope says:

I would just investigate the ingredients in the oil. I don’t use plug-ins because they are chemically-ridden.

• drop or two of essential oil inside the toilet paper roll is a wonderful thing for small bathrooms. also sachets in the bedroom! there are a ton of natural ways to freshen the scent of your home without harsh chemicals. these scents are really good for helping combat winter blahs and SADs. =)

10. Love my dryer balls! We switched 10 years ago when my daughter was a baby and reacted to laundry soaps and softeners. I’ve never looked back!

11. I love my dryer balls! I use the large wool felted ones and they work really great — I also use vinegar instead of fabric softener, also!
    Becky@OrganizingMadeFun´s last blog post ..The BIG garage reveal and a BIG giveaway from Flow Wall Systems

12. I love using wool felted dryer balls, and to reduce static cling, I put a safety pin on each ball.

13. CourtneyP. says:

I use wool dryer balls… and LOVE them! The last ten minutes of dryer time I add a few drops of Lavender essential oil to the wool balls and my clothes come out smelling SO good! I will never go back!

14. Kay DeFreese says:

I never use fabric softener sheets. Most of the time I hang my clothes on the line to dry but if I did use something in the dryer I’d use some wool balls. I have some wool skeins in my knitting basket and will probably make some up soon.

15. How backwards am I? I don’t think I’ve heard of dryer balls until now. *LOL* Shows you how much time I spend in the laundry aisle at the store or the laundry room at home!
    LuAnn Braley´s last blog post ..My Bestest Buddy and Her Papaw

16. I think I’m going to buy some the next time I’m out. This will definitely save money in my budget! Thanks for the tip. I’m sold.
    Jessica, The Debt Princess´s last blog post ..Frugal Friday: Less Waste with Toothpaste

17. Andrea D. says:

Do they work to help dry pillows better in the dryer??

18. Most, not all, dryer balls are toxic. They are advertised as non-toxic, but it is a marketing technic. The majority of the dryer balls are made of PVC(polyvinyl chloride), which is toxic. When this material is heated, it is released into the air ruining your air quality further.

19. I don’t have a problem with static since I live in a humid environment and with a DD with eczema I stay away from any fragrance. So, I don’t use anything !
    Liz´s last blog post ..Shop Makawao Part 2 – Art Galleries and Restaurants

20. Jackie B says:

OMG! At first, I thought I am running out to get me some dryer balls. THEN I read the PVC comment and started my own little investigation. It turns out that pretty much all of the dryer balls on the market, even the ones like Nelli’s who claim that they are toxin free and natural, are made of PVC!!! And they break down and put a film of toxic heated unbreathable plastic all over your clothes! One claims it is virgin PVC and I looked that up too. Turns out there is no such thing and just a marketing ploy. But I did learn about the wool balls and I will be getting some of those. Gosh, I had no idea that the regular dryer balls are so toxic to you. Thanks, Meagan, for the heads up. Myra, you should google toxic dryer balls and you won’t believe what comes up.

• Myra Hope says:

Thanks Jackie. There’s always a bad side to any seemingly good thing you do for your family. I don’t believe everything I read on Google, but I’ll do a little digging.

• Kathy Mader says:

Please let us know after you dig. Maybe it’s true about dryer balls being toxic and only wool balls should be used. In that case, I assume you would want to revisit your advice.

• Myra Hope says:

Absolutely Kathy! :) There’s always more to learn!!

• Where do you get these wool balls?

• I purchased my wool balls from a website called Molly’s Suds. I also purchased their laundry powder which is SLS/SLES, phosphates, fragrance and dye free (no animal testing either). The powder also has peppermint essential oils in it and it smells wonderful! The wool balls work great and last for up to 3 years ($20.00 for 3)

21. I had no idea that dryer sheets contain potentially harmful chemicals. I am going to get some dryer balls for sure! During the warmer seasons (I live in New England) we use a clothes line to dry most of our clothes. We do this to help cut back on the electric bill. Do you have any tips to soften clothes without the dryer? I know in the article you mentioned vinegar and baking soda but do you use both together and how much? Also, we wash mostly with cold water and I find that in my machine I can not use powdered detergents as they do not desolve. A good portion will stay clumped in the machine. Is there a way to make an all natural inexpensive liquid detergent? I have looked into some of the commercial liquid all natural detergents (Method, Seventh Generation, Mrs. Meyers) but they are too expensive for the amount of laundry we do (we do about 5 to 6 loads a week).

• I only use cold water as well. The one I make dissolves pretty easily, I just add some water before adding the detergent. Also, you add the vinegar to the rinse cycle and the baking soda to the beginning of the wash with the soap.

• Kathy Mader says:

I was at a bridal shower today and someone gave the bride a recipe and ingredients for homemade laundry detergent costing about 5 cents a load. Then another lady piped up that she had a recipe for homemade fabric softener. Talk about timing, ha! The fabric softener had hair conditioner as one of the ingredients. Once it’s mixed up, you dip a washcloth in it. Maybe you let it dry (I didn’t hear everything) and then it goes in the dryer. You use it until you can tell it needs refreshing with more of the solution. Probably both of these recipes are easily found online.

• Myra Hope says:

I use Charlies soap and I always use cold water. :)

22. My daughter and I have EXTREMELY sensitive skin and the dr has told us to not use dryer sheets or liquid softener. I tried to go without but I just cannot stand the static and the clothes seemed to not be soft. So I went back to fabric softener. I use only a small amount. But the rubber dryer balls definitely have peeked my interest. Thanks for sharing!!
    Jenifer´s last blog post ..A Vow of Purity

23. I have a set of dryer balls, but they are SO noisy….

24. lots of people report good things with dryer balls but my blue rubber balls tore up my towels and some jeans. i’m not a fan and since my daughter is allergic to wool, we use vinegar in our rinse. no issues here. be careful of your balls. =)

25. Query – do you know if these would be problematic for someone with a latex allergy? That’s been the one thing that makes me nervous about them.

Join the Conversation!

© 2009–2014 MyBlessedLife.net. All rights reserved.

No content on this site, including text and photos, may be reused in any fashion without written permission.

Site design by New Season Design.

Fabulous Friends Visiting