11 Brick Fireplace Makeovers

Happy Monday, y’all! I’m a little bit behind today because this past weekend was on the crazy side with running a yard sale, and all. This week we are beginning to work on lightening and brightening up the house where we’re moving. Yes. We’re moving again. We aren’t crazy {well, maybe a little bit}, but I’m so very excited, thrilled and ridiculously joyful at the prospect of moving back to the farm where I grew up.

I miss my Memaw so much that it hurts. But, she loved beautiful things and I’m honored to be able to update and beautify her house. In the process, I hope to make it “ours.”

11 Brick Fireplace Makeovers | MyBlessedLife.net

{Feel free to pin this image, but please pin images below from their sources as linked in the descriptions under them. Thanks!}

Near the top of the priority list is to paint the paneling. I started in the kitchen with the drop space. This week, I’m planning on temporarily avoiding the rest of the wallpaper removal for painting the den area. There’s a lovely brick fireplace {see above} that is asking for a makeover. I’m not 100% sure what I’m going to do with the brick, but it definitely needs lightening up. My options, for now, are paint and/or whitewash.

Brick Fireplace{my next DIY project}

I did some browsing around the internets to get some inspiration and I thought you might enjoy seeing these amazing brick fireplace makeovers too!

Fireplace 1

I adore this wood-clad fireplace from The Lettered Cottage.

Fireplace 2

The Yellow Cape Cod took a plain builder’s grade fireplace and made it a show stopper!

fall mantel

Our last house had white painted brick too. I loved the crisp, clean look of it.

Fireplace 4

The before was hideous, but wow. I could live with this one! :)

Fireplace 5

More white painted brick with built-ins.

Fireplace 6

Okay, so I really like the concept of this fireplace wall. I like the white above the mantel and a whitewashed look below the mantel. Hmmm…

Fireplace 7

More wood and white from The Pear Tree Cottage.

Fireplace 8

John and Sherry painted the fireplace brick white in their last house. And they’ve just whitewashed their brick fireplace wall in their current home! I’ve been planning mine for weeks, but now I feel like a copycat. Ha!

Fireplace 9

I also love gray painted brick. The contrast with white is classic.

Fireplace 10

The before photo of this brick wall is so overwhelming and heavy. I really like how white paint transformed it into a light, bright space.

Fireplace 11

Here’s another wood-clad fireplace with gray painted brick from Beneath My Heart. I really love it.

I *think* my initial plan is to whitewash the brick with my beloved Shoji White paint color. I’m trying to figure out if I should use my other favorite – Amazing Gray – below the mantel so that there is some contrast. I would eventually like to add some wood to the fireplace wall to give it a bit more oomph, but I’m just working on a live-able, temporary plan.

If you have any thoughts or advice, I would love to hear. Do you have a brick fireplace that you would love to paint, whitewash or clad with wood?

xoxo

Myra

• Share This Post on Facebook
  • Email this Post
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.

Comments

1. I have fireplaces on the mind too! We are refacing ours this month. Great inspiration :) xo Kristin
    Kristin @ bliss-athome.com´s last blog post ..Break the Rules // The Theme of My September

2. Myra I lived in a ranch house with a similar look when we first moved to Decatur and it took me several years to get the courage to lighten up everything and when i did, what a difference!! I look forward to seeing you transform your new home.
    Arlene Grimm@ Nanaland´s last blog post ..Actually Nana it is Hoova!

3. Great ideas! I have an old house that has a large brick fireplace that I would love to do something with. This is great inspiration! Thanks!
    Kathy´s last blog post ..Slow Cooker Chicken Philly Sandwiches

4. Darleen Wright says:

Please keep us informed on the make over for your fireplace and paneling . My room looks just like that and I am perplexed or should I say hesitating on what I need to do to lighten it all up. I also did my kitchen and it came beautiful but tackling the fireplace is a different ball game. Thank you.

5. please let me know what paint you would recommend to white wash brick and walls….one and the same?

• Myra Hope says:

I haven’t decided exactly what I’m doing yet, but I will definitely be sharing what I do here on the blog! :)

6. I’m a HUGE fan of whitewashing. I feel like it’s got more character than straight white paint. I love the picture above with the whitewash below the mantle and the white paint above. It’s bright, but it contrasts well without being overwhelming.
    Jessica´s last blog post ..Menu Monday and Verse of the Week

• Kathy Mader says:

I agree, the whitewashed fireplace is the prettiest. I think gray is too drab, at least the darker grays. I think (since you asked, Myra, ha) that if you whitewashed below and painted white above, that you would not need additional wood. You all ready have wood in the paneling. Well, whatever you decide, it will be lovely. You are one blessed person to be moving “home.”

• Myra Hope says:

Thanks Jessica for your comment!! :)

7. Oh, you will have so much fun re-doing your grandma’s house!!!! I can’t wait to see all that you do with it! :)
    Linda´s last blog post ..Six Word Saturday…Our Trip to Estes Park Colorado

8. Thank you for linking to my fireplace! Mine is the one under the word “makeovers” on your graphic. Thanks for the bump in traffic today. I’ll link to your page from mine.

9. Elizabeth Burrow says:

Whitewash it! I have whitewashed the fireplace in both of our houses. It brings out the undertones and beauty of the brick without covering up the natural beauty. My current den is Sherwin Williams Mindful Gray with the hearth a whitewash of 1/2 alabaster and 1/2 water, sloppily painted on. I absolutely love it.

10. Am I silly? I look at your sample photos but they aren’t your floor plan first off, I see the brick and I see your MeeMaw. I can’t help it. It was very grand of a fireplace. And I like the bricks. No one has them. I won’t say do what I say, but can you just look at another perspective? Use a cleaner and really scrub all the bricks with scrub brush (vacumn first!) to get them bright and looking their best. Beef up the shelf by adding moldings and use liquid nails to add a corbel and paint all this in the shade of white you’ll be using. Remove the dark black screen of fireplace. Will you use it? Use a lighter screen or spray paint the one you have in heat tolerant paint. If you do not plan to use the fireplace, mine is white inside. Michelle Edwards over at her blog added beveled mirrors. See #5 for a painted white screen. On the shelf, place the huge white frame upon frame like in #1. Since your fireplace is so beautiful, huge baskets or even ironwork urns like ThistleWOOD Farms KariAnn would branch your white in. A big round basket with burch logs. The windows are great! Install long white curtains ceiling to floor–ikea??–and then add white bookshelves under them that you glue a bit of molding to to beef them up. Could the pre made ones fit?? This way you can mimic storage beside the fireplace. You have amazing vision and I only am seeing a one dimensional photo. I think brick is so timeless. It actually stands the test of time! And this fireplace is not tiny. It is grand!! You could even have room to add a bit of white wood surrounding the actual fireplace #2 but I think by beefing up the shelf, adding substantial white elements on either side and in bookshelves below windows and in drapes, plus doing a super cleaning of the brick, maybe you’ll see it differently?!!!

• Myra Hope says:

Thanks Gwen for your comment! :) I will take it into consideration. The inspiration photos are just that. Inspiration. :)

11. Beautiful fireplaces! Love the black and white combo, that’s what I did to makeover on my OLD ugly fireplace. http://bit.ly/WHITEfireplacemakeover

gail
    gail´s last blog post ..Faux Mantel Chalkboard

12. I am in love with the fireplace with the candles in it! There is something so charming and old school about it that I really love. Great post!

13. These are so beautiful makeovers!! I love me so white painted brick. We painted ours when we moved in and then eventually re-tiled the outdated hearth. We are just smitten with the results! http://retroranchrenovation.blogspot.com/2013/06/operation-hearth-re-tile-grouted.html
    Gabbi @ Retro Ranch Reno´s last blog post ..Gearing Up.

14. I have a similar fireplace, similar brick. And I’m at such a loss. I know that I want to keep the brick natural, but would love to add a mantel and make it a true focal point that is beautiful and fun. {help!!}
    Brenda @ a farmgirl’s dabbles´s last blog post ..Honey Shortbread Bites with Smoky Cream Cheese, Sweet Corn & Tomatoes

15. Hi! I came over from Pinterest and love these. I painted mine all white but the inside needs painted. I’m always looking for new ideas, so thanks! Our chimney needs work so it’s not functional right now but some day maybe. I love the last photo with the fern. What a great idea!

16. Candace Fuller says:

My vote is for a white fireplace with some low window seat built-ins under those awesome windows! Can’t wait to see what you decide!

17. I’d have to agree that painting the bricks white really would brighten up the room. I vote for a follow up post to see what you did with the room! Also… excellent style in the examples you put up.
    Josh´s last blog post ..Three New Uses for Old Doors

18. I vote for whitewashing the brick . It will brighten up the whole room. I whitewashed our fireplace and love it. It’s easy to do and doesn’t cost much. Best wishes
    joann´s last blog post ..The white washed brick project

19. This essay is pretty good, keep it up! If you want to know more about the masking tape, now to please visiting our website of masking tape.

20. kemelie effie chandler says:

need fire place bricks painted

1. bathroom faucets pegasus

11 Brick Fireplace Makeovers

9. spray tanning tips first time

11 Brick Fireplace Makeovers

10. percussion lessons golf courses near albertville mn

11 Brick Fireplace Makeovers

Join the Conversation!

© 2009–2014 MyBlessedLife.net. All rights reserved.

No content on this site, including text and photos, may be reused in any fashion without written permission.

Site design by New Season Design.

Fabulous Friends Visiting