DIY Drop Space {Amazing Before & After!}

Holla! I hope you had a great weekend! I had a busy one finishing up a project that I’m SO excited to share with y’all today! First, a little secret that I haven’t told you yet…we are planning to move back to the country to my Memaw’s house–back to the farm where I grew up. We are just waiting for the details to fall into place for that. So…I did this project at that house as a Lowe’s Creative Ideas guest blogger!

You may be wondering what exactly a “drop space” is. It is exactly like what it sounds…a place to drop your stuff when you come in the door. Instead of having keys here, phones there, chargers in another place and oh, my husband’s wallet that migrates from one place to the next, this drop space is the ticket to a more peaceful home. 😉

DIY Drop Space {Amazing Before and After} | MyBlessedLife.net

You MUST see the “before” to truly understand how amazing the transformation is!

Wall Collage

It was quite a process to prepare the wall. I’ll definitely be sharing how I got wallpaper off of the paneling. It was…fun. Not really. 😉 But I really enjoyed stenciling. Isn’t it cool? The herringbone stencil is from Royal Design Studio and I used Valspar paint sample pots for the paints.

DIY Drop Space {Amazing Before and After} | MyBlessedLife.net

I’m absolutely, positively thrilled with how this space came together! Let me show you how I did it…

DIY Drop Space {Amazing Before and After} | MyBlessedLife.net

I found the wood rail with hooks at Lowe’s. I really loved the color, the distressed wood and the hooks and name plates. This piece was the springboard inspiration for my drop space.

We built two wood shelves with decorative brackets. My husband assisted me because I was busy prepping the wall. :)

Shelf Collage

1. I had Lowe’s cut a 6′ x 7″ board into two 33″ lengths.

2. We stained the wood with Rust-oleum’s Ultimate Wood Stain in Kona. It was really simple and easy to do with just one coat!

3. We had to hunt for black head screws to attach the decorative brackets to the wood. We finally found these Hillman hinge screws in the drawers at Lowe’s.

4. Then we attached the decorative brackets to the wood flush at the back and 2.5″ inches in from the ends.

DIY Drop Space {Amazing Before and After} | MyBlessedLife.net

The shelf installation was relatively simple. Oh, how I adore the Allen+Roth storage baskets. They are the perfect size! I labeled the baskets with little tags. There’s a basket for iPhones & iPads, one for Chargers & Adapters and one for Pens & Paper. Note: the wood architectural salvage piece is from Southern Accents.

DIY Drop Space {Amazing Before and After} | MyBlessedLife.net

I put pretty flowers in a hanging container on Cameron’s hook.

DIY Drop Space {Amazing Before and After} | MyBlessedLife.net

I accessorized the space with many items that I already had on hand, along with some of Memaw’s things that are still at the house. The butter churn, the chair and the black tray on the shelf behind the baskets were hers. I love the truly vintage touch. :)

DIY Drop Space {Amazing Before and After} | MyBlessedLife.net

Let’s review the before & after one last time, just for fun!

DIY Drop Space {Amazing Before and After} | MyBlessedLife.net

Do you have any idea how excited I am to have this part of life organized? No more hunting for keys when we’re ready to walk out the door! No more searching for a phone charger. Bliss.

Tell me, people…do you have a drop space in your home? If you don’t, it’s simple to create your own DIY Drop Space!

xoxo

Myra

Sharing at: Tips & TutesTransformation ThursdayChic & CraftyI’m Lovin’ ItBefore & After Party Weekend Wrap Up Party!

See more fun DIY ideas at Lowe’s Creative Ideas, follow Lowe’s on InstagramPinterest and sign up for the Creative Ideas magazine and app!

Spring 13 Blogger Badge Subscribe Banner Version2

Share This Post: Pin on Pinterest5,247Share on Facebook126Tweet about this on Twitter28Share on Google+14Print this pageEmail this to someone

Comments

Love the drop space Myra!! I am getting a bench that I plan to paint turquoise to put in the back hall at my house. I want to use it to put my purse on as I come in the door. Also a place to keep things that need to be mailed, books for the library etc!!
    Arlene Grimm@ Nanaland´s last blog post ..Fun with Friends

Myra, your new drop space looks wonderful!! I’m so excited that you’ll be moving into your Memaw’s house–what a blessing that will be for your whole family, I know.

We DO have a drop space, although it’s not as pretty as yours. :) Our back hallway leading in from the garage has a hook for each boy as well as one for me–a great place for backpacks, jackets, etc.

Honestly, I think I need to go to my Lowe’s store and just browse the aisles. We shop at Lowe’s often for hardware, spray paint, wood, light fixtures, etc.–but I had no idea they stocked items like the wood rail with hooks or those great baskets.
    Richella at Imparting Grace´s last blog post ..Soul Care Sunday

3. Kendra says

I am soo happy for you Myra ….I hope all the details fall into place quickly and u can start packing :) Love your drop space! We (my husband mostly 😉 made lockers (the ones you see all over pinterest) and they are absolutely life-savers!!! Love them! :) Thx for sharing!!!

Love Lowe’s! Camon and I have gone there just to get out of the house sometimes :) He looooves the ceiling fan section! I’m always tempted to come out with a lot more than I should :)

This looks FABulous. I love how you updated all the things that might have looked dated but you kept the chair rail and paneling at the bottom. There’s enough old to remind you of what it’s always been and enough new to make it personalized. And such exciting news! Happy moving :)
    Diana´s last blog post ..A New Way to Incubate Homemade Yogurt

5. Kathy Mader says

This turned out extra great! I think it’s wonderful that you will live in your grandmother’s house. WOW! And be closer to your parents. Maybe this will be your permanent home! YAY!

What a transformation! I LOVE the herringbone and the colors. I can hardly wait for your tutorial on how to remove wallpaper from panelling because that is currently my whole bedroom. Ack!

7. Aubrey says

I love the wall!! I thought it was wallpaper. Was the stencilling hard? How long did it take to do? What colors did you use? I want to do this in my home. Thanks for inspiring me!

8. Lanita says

Myra,
    I love the new drop space – you did a wonderful job! I don’t currently have a drop space, but need one! This is definitely inspiration. I really all of the organization ideas, and I especially love the chair and the butter churn & yard sticks! Congratulations on the moving plans!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Lanita

Oh my goodness this is genius! I have already planned my spot to do something like it. It hit me like a bolt of lightening….”WHY have I never done this before?!” Thanks for the inspiration. Lisa~

“I” have my drop spot for things so I can find my keys and purse easier when I need to go places. BUT I love this vintage idea and it has a purpose. I do have a hard time finding chargers when I need them too. Hmmmm…..wheels are turning.

Thanks for the inspiration.

This is just amazing! And what news! I am new to actually reading your story. I’ve seen you around in some of my DIY fb groups, but I thought I’d say hi today. I’m a mom to 5 kids, (3 siblings are by adoption and my husband is a part time worship leader as well as my DIY handyman and a painting contractor. I’ve actually signed up for your emails which is something I rarely do because I just don’t have time to keep up with everybody! Something about you grabbed me and I just wanted you to know that. I hope our paths cross in the future. Haven, maybe?
    Marty Walden´s last blog post ..Summer 2013 Showcase of Homes is at my House!

• Myra Hope says

Oh Marty! I’m thrilled to hear from you! I was *just* on your blog earlier and thought you looked like a kindred spirit! I hope to see you at Haven!! xo

12. Sharon says

This is a great space! Can I ask where you got the cute hanging glass vase with the turquoise paint on it?

Comments