Summer Mantel {2013}

My mantel has been begging for some attention over the last several weeks. After I decorated the mantel for Spring, I had to tear it apart for a few events that I had to decorate for. So, it’s been looking pretty sad and bare.

Two weekends ago, I went yard sale-ing for the first time in forever and found the neatest life preserver rings. One in particular stole my heart. I brought them all home to hang on the wall in my boys’ room, but they haven’t made it past the living room…yet. I love how easily this year’s Summer Mantel came together. I used items that I already had on hand {things that you’ve probably seen before} and a life preserver ring as the statement piece.

summer mantel decor

Is it quirky? Yes.

Is it a little weird? Yes.

Does it reflect the collected, layered, funky style that I love? Absolutely!

summer mantel

I filled a minnow bucket with fresh flowers {as well as curly willow} to add a pop of color, a bit of green, and a woodsy texture and color. The chalkboard easel is one of my favorite things. I used a Chalk Pen from Hobby Lobby to write and draw on the chalkboard. Those things are genius!

summer mantel

I adore the chippy look of the life ring. Swoon.

summer mantel

So pretty!

summer mantel

I stacked up two pieces of reclaimed wood from Southern Accents and used thrifted Scrabble tiles to say the word “breathe.” That’s what I’m doing a lot this summer…breathing…deep. 😉

summer mantel

Three of my aqua insulators made an appearance on this mantel.

summer mantel

Creamy yellow beauty.

summer mantel

I bought this super cool lantern a few months ago with Zulily credit. I LOVE it!

summer mantel

I really like how bright and Summery the mantel is right now. It has given the living room a vibrant, happy feeling.

summer mantel

Orange and turquoise are so pretty together, no?

summer mantel

Don’t forget to breathe.

summer mantel decor

That, my friends, is this year’s Summer Mantel!

Some have scoffingly said, “Do people really live like that?” on my mantel posts before. And honestly? Yes. Yes, they do. I get easily bored with my home decor and changing up the mantel decorations is a quick and easy way refresh my living room. I realize that this doesn’t float everyone’s boat, but it’s definitely helping keep me sane. 😉

Do you decorate your mantel or other space in your home seasonally? Or do you decorate and leave it alone for months or years?

Would you have ever thought to put a life preserver ring on your mantel? Don’t ever be afraid to try new things!

Sharing at: Tips & Tutes, Transformation ThursdayChic & CraftyI’m Lovin’ It Weekend Wrap Up Party!

Share This Post: Pin on Pinterest2,788Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Google+10Print this pageEmail this to someone

1. Courtney says

“Everyone’s boat”- LOL, clever :)

Love it- my favorite is the bucket and cheery yellow flowers! And the lantern… :)

2. kelly says

I think this just may be my favorite mantle make over you’ve done… Luv luv the preserver and I think orange/turq may be my new fav color combo for summer… I have a vintage iron patio set that I need to re-paint.. Hmm… Happy Summer…

Myra, I absolutely LOVE it! You always seem to find the coolest stuff at yard sales. I would totally put a life preserver on my mantle if I had one.

Like you, I love having things in my house that are one of a kind and a little different! After all, I do have a pair of used antique Dutch wooden shoes that I got in The Netherlands on my dining room hutch?!?
    Katie´s last blog post ..Menu Plan Monday

Great mantle, Myra! I’m an Auburn fan so I love the orange and blues. That little chalkboard is such a great idea…it can be changed easily for different seasons and occasions. I’m gonna have to get me one of those!

Myra…your mantel looks great! What a unique mantel display…with some very different summer ideas! You are a clever girl! It made me feel the magic of summer…you know those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer! I like to decorate my mantel too, but I am not so clever as you. Mine are kind of blah. So, maybe I will take a stab at making it more interesting after seeing yours.

God’s every blessing to you and yours!
    Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

6. Kimberly says

I think it looks wonderful…………………………… I have a huge fireplace and mantel and I just leave it blank. There are two candles on it. I really need time to spruce it up but I am not that creative.

7. Tracie says

Lovely! I am with you Myra – I change my mantel all the time. In the fall, winter, and spring it is monthly. I only do it once in the summer… usually because we have gone swimming!

8. sonai says

Love love the real and orange! Your mantels are always so adorable. I totally understand mixing it up I have a buffer I do my staging on. I don’t live in a dept store window, but, one piece my furniture pieces looks like it does 😉

I am so in love with this mantel. I don’t even know where to start. From the life preserver (where did you ever find it??) to the scrabble letters to the chalkboard sign!! I am now going to change my own from “beach” to “gone swimming.”