15 Alternative Egg-Filling Ideas

The weekend is quickly approaching when many participate in egg hunts. I grew up doing things a bit differently. We traditionally wait until the weather is a little warmer to do a “Spring egg hunt.” Last year, my sister and I did an egg hunt with our children. They had fun finding the eggs…that were empty. Ha! Don’t judge! When you’re two and three years old stuff like that isn’t so important.

Anyway, I’ve been thinking about alternatives to the sugary candy that pervades every store this time of year. We don’t do much “junk” around here, but that doesn’t mean we don’t have any fun. *wink*

easter egg hunt ideas

Here are 15 Alternative Egg-Filling Ideas…

• dried fruit {raisins or craisins}
  • nuts
  • trail mix
  • mini chocolate chips
  • pocket change or bills for older kids
  • annie’s organic bunnies or goldfish
  • stickers
  • naturally colored gummies or jelly beans
  • chalk
  • bubbles
  • tiny dollar store toys
  • stick on earrings
  • hair clips
  • tiny nail polish bottles
  • special coupons – stay up late, choose what to make for dinner, date with mom or dad etc…

The unpackaged food items can be put in a snack baggie to keep them clean and together. :)

Do you have any ideas to add to the list? I’d love to hear them in the comments!

xoxo

Myra

Share This Post: Pin on Pinterest2,464Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter11Share on Google+2Print this pageEmail this to someone

Comments

These are great ideas! I’m in charge of the Easter Egg hunt at our church this year, and as I was counting the 800 eggs leftover from last year, I was trying to think of other things to put in them. I know it might not be a kids’ first choice, but I thought verses that apply to Easter, typed out on pieces of paper might be a great idea to keep the real reason of Easter. I guess it would be kind of like a fortune cookie.
    Lauren´s last blog post ..Caramelized Beet & Onion Pizza

2. Amy says

Thank you for posting this! I’m a Registered Dietitian and often feel like the bad guy when I suggest alternatives to candy. I’m also a mother and believe we must provide healthy alternatives for our children so they may make their own healthy decisions one day. Thanks for sharing and God bless,
    Amy

3. robin says

I don’t think empty is a bad idea at all. Afterall it is a visual on the empty tomb. I love those little baby chicks made out of a little minature puff. My kids love them! I think little lambs would be cute too. Hobby lobby seems to have cute trinkets.

I am also doing erasers, God erases all our sin! And some fun little snacks, stickers and temporary tattoos. I also bought chocolate and lemonheads. Not over kill but I think after my kids giving up sweets for Lent they can indulge for a day!

4. Anika says

I try to make everyday healthier choices for our little ones, so I don’t mind treating them to a few of their favorites at Easter time. We don’t do the traditional big choc. Easter bunny but rather lil treats and this year added a pair of very nice flip flops and lil’ goodies they love and don’t get every day. :)

5. Aubrey Means says

lego people
    hotwheel cars
    littlest pet shop animals
    mighty beans
    mega bloks halo characters
    poly pocket
    fisher price little people

6. Marsha says

Our grandkids are vegans. Therefore no candy. we put matchbox cars into the eggs, hair barretts, little my little ponies, zoo animals, etc. They love them. In fact, we did it when the oldest was 2, and at 3 he remembered and asked about cars in the eggs. He’s now 4 and could NOT wait to have his Easter treat hunt!!!! The 2 year old girl loved finding her toys also

Comments