DIY Button Monogram

This button monogram project has been on my to-do list for weeks. It popped into my head when I scored a wooden picture frame at a yard sale for 0.25.  My creative brain never, ever stops to rest, so it seems. Ha!

I totally love how it turned out. I think I’m going to incorporate it into my apple green desk vignette for the summer.

Several years ago, I bought this jar of buttons at a local antique shop for $12.00. I doubt that I would pay that much now, but for the jar, zinc lid and gobs of buttons maybe the cost was pretty fair.

After some wonderful red spray paint, the frame looked much better.

Do y’all see how DRY the grass is?  We need rain so, so badly!

I cut up an AT&T box, spray painted the cardboard lid Heirloom White to create the monogram background.  The “Y” in the above picture is from Hobby Lobby for $2 to use as a stencil. Our printer is currently out-of-order, so this method worked fabulously.

I traced around the “Y” and then began randomly gluing buttons down.  I went around the outline first and then began filling in the middle.

Once the bottom layer was done, I filled in the gaps and covered the pen outline.  If I had been thinking more clearly, I would have covered the outline completely with buttons the first time around.  Oh well, you live, you learn. :)

The vintage-ish mix of buttons is fabulous.

I had to pick all the hot glue webbys off and then I put the cardboard monogrammed piece into my frame.

How cool is that?

I’m thrilled to have found a use for the jar of buttons that I’ve had for years. The monogram only used about 1/5 of the quart jar, so I need some other ideas about what to do with more buttons. I have buttons coming out my ears, y’all! :)

Creating this cute, framed, monogrammed piece of vintage-ish art was so much fun…and frugal too!

Do you have a button crafting idea? I’m all ears. :)

I’m linking up to Get Your Craft On, Tip Me TuesdayTips & TutorialsI’m Lovin’ It, Chic & Crafty, How-To Dayand Weekend Wrap Up Party and Traci’s Best DIY Projects!

Don’t miss out – diy projects, recipes, crafts and more, by checking out my subscribe page!

Share This Post: Pin on Pinterest3,061Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Google+0Print this pageEmail this to someone

1. Jenni Farr says

This is such a fun idea. My sister did this a few weeks back in her daughters’ playroom, only she spelled out the word “PLAY” with the buttons in 4 different frames above the toy cubbies. It is precious! When I saw it I knew I had to copy her, but I had already forgotten! LOL Thanks for reminding me of such a fun, cute, and creative project! Yours turned out great! :-)

• Myra says

Oh poo! I thought I was original. Oh well, I guess there’s nothing new under the sun. Ha! Thanks for your comment! :)

Myra- your ‘Y’ is fabulous! This has also been on my to-do list for some time (I bought an ‘M’ from hob lob just like your ‘Y’) but now I’m definitely going to do this after seeing your step-by-step. I’m visiting from Tip Junkie- hope you’re having a great day!

This is adorable…I want to make one for my wall. It kind of makes me jealous of your button jar. And now I will be searching for buttons to save up and make one. Could take a while unless I find some for sale somewhere.

• Myra says

Thanks for your comment Anne! Guess what? We FINALLY got some rain last night and we may get a bit more tonight. I’m so thankful! :)

So darling! If you’re doing a grouping, you could use the buttons around the frame of a picture on one and maybe glued onto a hanging ribbon of another. That way they coordinate with the buttons, but still are unique. You could even string a tiny button pennant, since those are so in right now.
    I think I’m going to start looking for buttons!
    Claygirlsings´s last blog post ..Mouth closed ears open

Idea overload (I apologize in advance!haha) : Button balls. Use styrofoam balls of varying sizes and cover them in buttons then fill a jar with them. OR you could make a DIY tufted headboard for Ridley. OR you could revamp a children’s chair for Ridley and instead of using studs you could use buttons. OR make napkin rings. OR stack the buttons (mix up shapes,colors, and sizes) and use them as the pull for lamps or fans…….phew! Ok. I’m done now. Had to let that out! haha Your “Y” looks amazing, Myra! Can’t wait to see what else you will come up with! :-)
    Anna´s last blog post ..Would You Be My Tootsie-Wootsie

This is darling! I have a “thing” for buttons lately, and have plenty to make this!

How about making these darling button bracelets? You can do charm style, like this: or a stretch type, like this:

You could do monochromatic, or colored themes, I see so many options!

Great idea! There’s a second hand craft shop that I frequent that always has all kinds of buttons, vintage and new. I just may have to make a button monogram now! Woohoo! Thanks for sharing the idea!

8. Laura says

I saw this idea done recently but with broken crayon pieces. They were lined up side to side so it was a lot more linear then your button one (which I love by the way :) )and was given to a teacher friend of mine as an end of year gift. And who doesn’t have tons of broken crayons?!? :)

9. Grandscraperona says

Fabulous! i am a collector for bottoms, and classified them into white, black-brown, and multi…ah, and fancy ones! use them always in every project. for example, i made an altered serving tray into a conversation piece and used the ones that have an antique look, together with other similar items. ( something from my mind) , and have it exposed with three other oils. i am very proud of my first altered piece.

Wow! This is such a great tutorial. I have a friend who wants to use ‘buttons’ as a theme in her nursery. I can’t wait to show her what you have done.
    You have a wonderful blog! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would check out my blog and follow me too!

11. Monet says

Found you through Tip Junkie…this button art monogram is beautiful! Impactful yet inexpensive, right up my alley. Thanks for sharing… :-)

12. Christine says

How cute! My son collected buttons for a while, so we have a few, too! A couple of years ago we bought styrofoam balls at the craft store and glued buttons all around them to make Christmas ornaments. They turned out really cute. I really like this project and may have to try it myself!

1. […] And here’s another interesting example. It’s a button monogram. Take a frame and a piece of cardboard. Glue colored buttons onto the cardboard after tracing the letter with a pencil. Frame the thing and you’re done. You can also use thread to keep some of the buttons in place.{found on myblessedlife}. […]