Memaw’s Lemon-Lime Jello Salad

This recipe for Lemon-Lime Jello Salad has been in my family for many years. My Memaw got the recipe from her cousin who always used to make it for company.  When I was visiting Memaw on the Saturday before Easter, she had the recipe out on her side table, but she was sad because she didn’t have the ingredients to make it.

Photobucket

See how well worn the recipe is?  Don’t you love the old fashioned handwriting?  I love how it says “Method” for the directions.

I decided to surprise Memaw with this salad this past Sunday.  She loved it!

Photobucket

Lemon-Lime Jello Salad

• 1 box lemon jello
  • 1 box lime jello
  • 1 cup hot water
  • 8 oz pkg. cream cheese, softened
  • 2 cups cold water
  • 1 large can crushed pineapple, drained
  • 1 can sweetened condensed milk (I didn’t say it was a healthy salad!)
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/2 – 1 cup chopped nuts

In a large bowl mix both packages of jello with hot water, stir well.  Beat in softened cream cheese (at low speed!).  Add cold water and stir.  Add pineapple, sweetened condensed milk and mayonnaise, mix well.  Sprinkle nuts on top and chill.

Enjoy!

Linked to:

Share This Post: Pin on Pinterest538Share on Facebook9Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Google+0Print this pageEmail this to someone

Comments

1. jules p says

What a great story. I love hand written recipes. I had my grandmother’s recipes laminated. They look so neat and old.

I can’t wait to make this recipe. Thanks for sharing it with us.

thanks for the recipe, I’m going to try making it, it looks delicious. I wish I still had my grandparents but I cherich all the memories. Hope you’re having a Happy Tuesday!
    .-= Maria´s last blog ..5 Minutes For Mom =-.

3. Barbara says

Myra, this was such a sweet thing for you to do for Memaw! And yes, the recipe was from Bernice! Always a hit! And full of memories!

When my grandmother passed away a few years ago, I flew down to Alabama for the services, and I came back with a suitcase full of all her recipes. I am trying to get them organized and scrapped, so I can make books for the rest of the family. Grandmother loved to cook, so this was the best way I could think of to keep her memory alive. What a blessing to have all these hand-written pieces of her!

So sweet of you to make your Memaw her jello salad! :)
    .-= Tori´s last blog ..Lifestyle Update – Veggies Rock! =-.

Yummy, yummy, YUMMY! This salad just looks like Spring :) Thanks for the recipe, I think I’ll have to try that tonight.

I love the old, handwritten recipes that are handed down. My mom has a handwritten recipe book that is absolutely falling apart. I keep telling her that I need to copy it … maybe someday!

LOVE the old recipe card! I make a similar recipe, only using strawberries in place of the lemon-lime. It was a recipe my husband’s grandmother would make. Her name was Nee Nee. So the recipe was called, “Nee Nee’s Pink Stuff”. I love family recipes and traditions. Thanks for sharing yours with us at TMTT, this week.
    .-= Lisa@Blessedwithgrace´s last blog ..Our Reader’s Digest Article… =-.

7. Rachel says

Your lemon lime Jello is a variation of a recipe I made 30 years ago and made each holiday season for many years thereafter. This Thanksgiving, my son asked that I make the “Green Stuff” I use to make — but gosh where is the recipe — with a change here and there, this recipe is my Green Stuff.
    My variation:
    2 boxes of Lime Jello
    1 large can crushed pineapple
    Drain and preserve juice
    To preserve pineapple juice add cold water (for 2 cups)
    Your lemon lime Jello is a variation of a recipe I made 30 years ago and made each holiday season. My son asked that I make the “Green Stuff” I use to make.
    My variation:
    2 boxes of Lime Jello
    1 large can crushed pineapple
    Drain and preserve juice
    To preserve pineapple juice add cold water (for 2 cups)
    My variation:
    2 boxes of Lime Jello
    1 large can crushed pineapple
    Drain and preserve juice
    To preserve pineapple juice add cold water (for 2 cups)
    Every other ingredient is the same

8. Genevieve says

I can’t believe it! I accidently ran into this page today. Getting ready for Thanksgiving and looking for recipes. My Mother always made this salad at every holiday. She called it “Dorothy Salad” and used cottage cheese instead of cream cheese but otherwise it’s identical. I wonder how many years this has been floating around and who started it!!!!!
    Thanks for the memory…think I’ll make it this year for Thanksgiving!

9. Bonnie says

Hi…love this recipe..my aunt made it every Thanksgiving, but now, no one has the recipe.. Yoaks love your blogurs is the one..so excited to make it ..do I use small or large jello pkgs..? thanks, love your blog!

10. Troy says

This is the same exact jello recipe thats been in my family for three generations! Your the only one’s that I know of with anything like this!

Comments