Sewing Machine Table {How-To}

The bathroom renovation has slowed a bit this week while my husband works . I can’t take care of 2 year old Ridley and rip up subflooring. Ha!  We are hoping to continue work in the “out of order” bathroom this weekend and next week. The hardwood flooring also is acclimating to the house environment before we install it next week.

As if I didn’t have enough projects already started and not yet finished, we’ve also been working on installing the mantel. Ha! In the middle of all the other chaos, I finally decided on what to do with a sewing machine table base that my husband brought home from one of his co-workers…for free!

How To Make A Table Out Of A Sewing Machine Base

The free sewing machine base came with a piece of glass for the top, but I wanted to use something chunkier.  It needed bulk because the base is so open. I finally decided that wood would be best, so I went out to the garage to see what I could find.

I found an old kitchen cabinet door that I removed when sanding and priming the cabinets. I don’t plan on using the upper cabinet doors again, so it was the perfect candidate.

But I’m not really in love with knotty pine.

I love the unstained inside of the door though!!

I carefully removed the two braces because the cabinet doors are literally tongue and groove.  The door was too long, so we {hubs and I} cut off  1 1/2 inches from each end.

Then we screwed in one of the braces to the underside of the cabinet door/table top for extra support…and so the tongues and grooves would stay together. :)

I think it turned out quite well. I’m not sure if I should paint the table top or just leave it natural.  I like it natural, but I don’t want it to be too rustic.

I added a lamp, my thrifted wig box and a couple of books.

This area needs some major work including hemming the curtain panels and finishing up painting the board and batten.

For exactly $0 and 10 minutes I {“we”} made a nice end table to go between the sofa and front door.

Should I leave the top natural or paint it?

Have a fabulous weekend!

I’m linking up to Jen’s fabulous party, Saturday Night SpecialShow and Share day and The Before & After Party!

Share This Post: Pin on Pinterest174Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Google+0Print this pageEmail this to someone

How sweet is that table? I seem to have an addiction to tables,, and I LOVE that one! Can’t wait to start decorating our almost done reno!

2. Tara G. @ Mrs. Yellow Hat says

Very cute, Myra! I like the natural look of wood, but my opinion would be to stain it darker to eliminate the orange tones.

I love it! The legs are so wonderful. It’s amazing! I’d say leave it normal for now and see if you like it. You can always paint it! I love painting things! Natural is good sometimes, too. It’s such a beautiful piece!

So funny….my mom and day got my Great Grandma’s sewing machine when she moved out of her house and they took one of her old furnace grates from the house. My dad took the grate and put it on the base. He repainted it and gave it to me after I got out of the hospital as a surprise…..Myra this was when I was in 6th grade….34 yrs ago!!! I have used it as a plant stand and other things but now it sits in my basement cuz my hubby hates it. I really want to figure out where I can put it because I love it so much!!!

Found you over at Tatertots and Jello. I also have a sewing table that I removed the top from and put a piece of wood on top. I like yours better1 The attached boards give it more character. Thanks for sharing!

Love it natural. If it was a crappy piece of wood then I’d say paint it, but that’s really pretty and I like what you’ve done with it. I actually would have spray painted the base white or a great colour but I’ve got some funky style sometimes. 😉

Hi Myra! Love your sweet, cheap project!! Very clever! I would definitely either stain it darker OR go lighter like a creamy white or pale gray. Depends on what colors you have in your home… :)

xoxo laurie

I have an old sewing machine base table also. I am never sure where to put it or what to put on it. I’ve had it for years, my top is just plain pine boards, not as pretty as your top. I was going to sell mine on craigslist, but maybe I’ll wait on that.

9. Stevie says

Love your table. Can you tell me the dimensions of the table top? I think the proportions are perfect! The natural top is a great contrast to the base. Great job!