Gum Drop Pomander Ornament {Tutorial}

I guess I’m in love with candy this year…at least decorating with it. Candy is cheap and when grouped together it is quite beautiful. I’m all about getting a lot of bang for very little buck. Ha!

One day recently, the idea popped into my head to decorate with gumdrops.  I’ve made two different gum drop crafts {one of which I’ll show you soon…I promise}, but for now here is one that I’m just loving!  Introducing….Gum Drop Pomander Ornaments!!

Fabulous, eh?

Last year I hung candy canes from my chandelier and this year it’s gum drops. I wonder what next year will bring! :)

I know you’re just itching to make a few of these yourself, so let’s get to it!

Supplies You’ll Need:

• Styrofoam balls {super cheap at Walmart!}
  • Ribbon
  • Straight Pins
  • Hot Glue Gun and Glue Sticks
  • Gum Drops
  • Scissors

Squeeze a dab of glue on a foam ball and then attach the ribbon with a pin through the hot glue.

Loop the ribbon around then glue and pin the ribbon in place.

Begin gluing gum drops in place – alternating colors until the entire ball is covered.

{getting pretty!}

Hang your awesomely fun gum drop pomander ornament…

…on a stand…

…from a chandelier…

…on your Christmas tree, if it has strong branches.

Or you can make the gum drop ornaments without ribbon and

…decorate candle sticks…

or add your gum drop balls to a Christmas vignette.

When Ridley saw these Gum Drop Pomander Ornaments he said, “ooooooo, mama!”

It would be lovely to make several of these and hang them as a collection. I used fishing line to hang mine from the chandelier.

So, what do you think?

Share This Post: Pin on Pinterest3,752Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter11Share on Google+5Print this pageEmail this to someone

1. johanna says

And keep them out of reach of children! Last year my SIL made these, and every time we were at their house, my son would snatch a gum drop when we weren’t watching…. 😉 (I don’t remember what she used to attach them but I doubt it was hot glue because I would think that would be harder to pull off. Then again, when a kid wants candy, watch out… !)

• Myra says

Wow! Thankfully I don’t let Ridley climb on the dining table (at least not yet), so they are safe hanging from the chandelier. :) The hot glue seems to be quite secure.

2. Maria says

My 2 year old is sitting on my lap as I’m reading this tutorial, and she also keeps saying “OOOO”. Can’t resist!

3. Amy says

Hi Myra! I LOVE the gumdrop ideas. I’m definately gonna do that this year in my house. I love your blog and so happy I came across it. Love all your ideas! Your bringing out the creativity in me that I thought I had lost. And thanks to you I went shopping for my house today in which I thought I had given up on. Thank you so much for re-inspiring me!

• treuzel says

These are lovely ! Do you think it would be possible to fix the gums with a sugar-based glue, so that the ornaments could be eaten at the end of the party ? My children would not understand i’d be throwing away adorable food like that…:-)
      Thanks for the inspiration !!

I’ve made gumdrop trees for the holidays before with my kids and we simply cut toothpicks in half and have the kids stick them in the gumdrop and then into the Styrofoam. That way they can pull off a gumdrop to eat if they want to. Of course, then the decoration is only good for one season. :) But then you can always make it again. :)
    Heidi´s last blog post ..Wishing you all Happy Holidays!!

5. mindy g says

instead of using glue, cut toothpics in half to attach the gum drops….now you have edible ornaments. very cute!! another great idea is using the red and green ones, using toothpicks and make a tree out of the gumdrops.

6. Jen says

These are SO CUTE! They remind me of Candy Cane Lane in California. I like the idea of the sugar based glue and the toothpicks so you can eat them, but do you think as an alternative there would be a way to preserve and save them? Just wondering. :) Great job.

7. Stephanie Rodriguez says

I love these Gum Drop ornaments. They would be perfect for our decorating. My only concer is, How do you keep them from attracting ants or something?

8. ardita says

I love this ornament! My son had to make an ornament for school and I help him make this one and it’s beautiful! Thank you for this great idea 😉

9. Cindi M says

In the 50s my mother made a cone shaped gumdrop tree, so cool.
    This is the first time I have seen a pomander ball! Kudos to you.

10. Julie says

I am soooo glad that I came across this when I did! I have been freaking out because when I took my Christmas decorations out I found that a lot of them did not “survive” the year being packed away. I don’t like to buy Christmas decorations before Christmas, they can be so pricey so I like to wait until after the holidays to buy more because they go on clearance (yeah, I know, I’m cheap, but with 4 kids sometimes I have to be lol)….. Anyway, thank you for all of your wonderful diy ideas for Christmas, you have no idea how much of a life saver you really are! 😀

Very cute! And I know how much my boys love gumdrops! So I’m thinking instead of glue, I will break toothpicks in half and insert into the bottom of the gumdrop, THEN into the styrofoam ball. I’ll make one for Grammy too!

1. […] 1. Gum Drop Pomander Ornament: These are awesome. I detest the taste of gum drops, but they are so pretty and festive that I love to see a functional use for them other than bedazzling the sides of gingerbread houses (or eating, blech). As I was cruising the web I came across a great tutorial for a gum drop wreath also. Check it out. I never realized that gum drops could inspire such awesome, dirt cheap projects! Paper Stars via […]